Windows 2012 Server Burn to USB

I am not a hardware guy. At all. For me, the on button is pushing the boundaries of things. So, to reinstall an OS is kind of tipping my toes into waters I am less than excited about. At this point, I am sure most people wonder, why in the world are you in IT then? Well, technically, I am more of a developer than an IT guy, but, thats an entirely different story. To try and get up to speed I grabbed my 2012 Hyper V .iso I logged onto MSDN, pulled down my x64 image to the laptop. Normally, this is where I would throw up my hands, pop open PowerShell and start exploring some random, impossible, but, fun scripting challenge. "Not this time," I told myself, "figure it out."

Thankfully Paul Thurrotts Supersite for Windows (a great site by the way) offered up this link:
Windows 8 Release Preview: Create DVD Or USB Setup Media
After reading through the post I downloaded the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. You can download this from the Microsoft Store at
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool
Once downloaded I installed the tool, ran it and in four steps, and, perhaps 5 minutes, I had a USB stick with my 2012 install ready image. After having fought things like Nero and PEBuild and, and, and, and, finding something like this is a plain old God send. Now, in the next 20 minutes, Ill have my new, release build of Windows 2012 on my machine up and running to start building a working home test suite.

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment